Tennant on EHRs and Michael Douglas’ 18-pound phone

September 25, 2012 in Medical Technology

WASHINGTON – Robert Tennant, senior policy advisor for the Medical Group Management Association, has had a front-row seat in both policy arena and the day-to-day workings of physician practices large and small. Here he talks with Healthcare IT News about EHR usability.

Tennant discusses the government’s new EHR certification rule that addresses UCD, or user-centered design, about the work physicians and practice administrators must do to ensure a successful rollout – and about Michael Douglas’ 18-pound phone.

“You’ve seen the movie Wall Street, where Michael Douglas is walking on the beach holding this 18-pound phone,” Tennant says. “I remember sitting in the movie theater watching this, and there was a gasp that he had a cordless phone that would work on the beach. Now we look at it, and we laugh. And, that’s not that long ago.”

[See also: EMR usability seen lacking]

Time flies. It was 25 years ago that Douglas played corporate raider Gordon Gekko in Oliver Stone’s era-defining 1987 film.

Still, Tennant’s point holds. Consumer phones have made leaps in design and user-friendliness over that time. He expects electronic medical records systems, too, will – years from now – work in ways no one has yet imagined.

“Things are changing,” he says. “Certainly, meaningful use is pushing the industry.”

Tennant also expects consolidation in the EHR market. There are about a thousand complete EHRs and EHR modules certified for meaningful use today, he notes.

[See also: NIST to test EHR usability]

“I suspect that number will decrease for Stage 2,” he says, “because the requirements are becoming more challenging. The better products, hopefully, will rise. But that takes communication between practices. Certainly that’s what we try to do at MGMA is to provide a forum for folks to exchange ideas. It’s such a huge investment. The practices need to take their time and vet the products carefully and add usability to the top of the list when they’re doing their due diligence. Just because it can do something doesn’t mean it’s easily done.”

Q. What concerns you the most with regard to usability?     
A. There’s unprecedented interest in EHRs by physician practice community in EHRs – driven by meaningful use – there’s no question about that. What were concerned about is that the practice in its effort to try to get a system, installed it and start getting the meaningful use dollars, that they select a product that isn’t very user-friendly. That can take a couple of forms. One would be if it’s a complete EHR, but it’s not very user-friendly. The interface is not very functional, and it can lead to a lot of frustration on the part of the clinicians.

The second issue is that the vendor doesn’t produce a complete EHR and relies on modules to fulfill the meaningful use requirement. It partners with one, two, three, four other vendors to provide the necessary functionality. In some cases, they can interact seamlessly, and it all works wonderfully. In other cases, they don’t interoperate particularly well. They can be cumbersome. The data may not move from one module to another very easily – and, again leads to frustration on the part of the users.

Q. What’s your best advice for physicians?
A. There’s some responsibility on the part of the practices to take the initiative to not just read the brochures and to listen to the sales pitch from the vendors, but actually do their due diligence and network with their colleagues – physician-to-physician, practice administrator-to-practice administrator – talk to their colleagues, find out what works and what doesn’t, and be prepared to work with the vendor, to customize the installation, work with the templates that will improve usability and to understand that in most cases, this is not a turnkey operation. There’s a lot of front work that needs to be done. And, some of the frustration with EHR installations on the part of practice staff is borne from the fact that they haven’t done the sufficient upfront work and training. So, once they go live, they are all comfortable with the interface, understand how to move from module to module. They understand how to enter patient data and utilize it.

So, I can’t over-emphasize the need for comprehensive staff training. I’ve talked to practices that have gone in both directions – some that sort of skimped on the training and struggled for a long time, and others that did the weekends, did the evenings, worked hard. And, once the transition occurred, it was very smooth and they were very, very pleased. But, there’s always a tradeoff. Who wants to work on the weekends? It takes commitment. It’s not good enough to have 40 percent of the staff engaged on it. There has to be a level of commitment, especially among the clinical staff. You can’t have recalcitrant physicians saying, “I don’t want to do it,” or “I want to have a scribe follow me around.” It’s a huge time and financial commitment that the entire staff needs to buy into.

Q. Is it a good idea to have usability as one of the measure for EHR certification?
A. I really think it’s a good step for ONC to start pushing the vendors toward more user-friendly systems, because if they’re not easy to use, it slows the clinician down, which we certainly don’t want to happen. It can frustrate them. It could lead to errors, and not taking the full advantage of what these systems offer the clinician. User friendliness is especially important for what I would call the next wave of clinicians to adopt EHRs. The first wave, many of them had the systems in place, a lot of them were technology savvy. Now we’re trying to get at those physicians that aren’t necessarily technology savvy. It’s absolutely critical that the interface be very friendly. Again, that’s going to increase the adoption rate among physician practices.

Q. Why has usability not been a consideration from the get-go?
A. We’ve been pushing the idea of usability for a long time. I was involved in the formation of CCHIT, the Certification Commission for Health Information Technology, which one of the six ATCBs now authorized to certify these products. I remember in the early days of CCHIT, I kept saying, “You know it’s not good enough just to test the functionality. If it takes a thousand keystrokes to get to something, well, it’s not very user friendly.” The pushback came from two sides. One was from CCHIT, saying, “Well I don’t know if we can test that. It’s difficult; it’s subjective.” And the vendors themselves were leery about including usability in the testing criteria. We continued to harp on it over the years, and finally CCHIT added it to their test script. They have a whole protocol now in place to test it. My understanding is the product is assigned a rating from 1 to 5 in terms of their usability.

Be the first to like.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)

Article source: http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/tennant-ehrs-and-michael-douglas-18-pound-phone

Be Sociable, Share!
Bookmark and Share

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>