Praise rolls in for Mostashari

August 6, 2013 in Medical Technology

Farzad Mostashari, MD, national coordinator for health information technology at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, announced Tuesday he will be stepping down from the post this autumn. Stakeholders across the healthcare industry say he will be dearly missed.

“Farzad has been an excellent visionary and leader in taking the initial efforts of Dr. (David) Blumenthal and maintaining momentum and excitement regarding HIT,” said Marc Probst, CIO at Intermountain Healthcare. “I have been particularly impressed with Farzad’s attention to detail and focus on implementing HIT standards which can dramatically enhance interoperability and innovation in healthcare IT.”

“I am sad to see Farzad move on, but I am confident that a transition can occur without disrupting the progress made to date,” said Probst. “ONC has a strong, bright team, and although it may take a few months for a new national coordinator to gain traction, progress in HIT and meaningful use will go on. When Dr. Blumenthal moved on and Farzad took the roll, it was a time of change and concern, but the transition went smoothly and progress continued. I wish Farzad great success – no doubt he will remain a key player in health IT.”

“Working with Farzad has been an extraordinary experience,” said John Halamka, MD, CIO of Beth Israel Medical Center in Boston. “His focus on public health and patient/family engagement has had an enormous impact. My greatest lesson learned from Farzad is to choose policy goals first, then implement IT to support them, rather than implement technology for technology’s sake.”

Halamka described Mostashari as “a person who balanced policy imperitives and implementation reality.”

“If you just look at the change that’s happened in the four years tha he’s been deputy national coordinator and national coordinator, I think we’ve probably moved the needle more than in the previous 20.”

“Farzad will be missed,” said Scott MacLean, deputy CIO and director of IS Operations at Partners HealthCare in Boston. “He’s brought a unique combination of knowledge and passionate leadership that has really paved the way for adoption. The next ONC chief will bring their own energy to the role, but we are grateful for how Farzad has moved us forward.”

He’s brought a unique combination of knowledge and passionate leadership that has really paved the way for adoption.  The next ONC Chief will bring their own energy to the role, but we are grateful for how Farzad has moved us forward.

[See also: Mostashari to step down as ONC chief.]

Be the first to like.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)

Article source: http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/stakeholders-praise-mostashari-he-announces-departure-public-service

Be Sociable, Share!
Bookmark and Share

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>