Will mHealth take hold?

December 11, 2013 in Medical Technology

“This market will not take off until we can scale,” was Clint McClellan’s opening assertion.

The Dec. 10 session at the mHealth Summit was titled: M2M Now Money Talks mHealth.

McClellan, senior director of business development at Qualcomm Life and president and chairman of the board at standards and interface developer Continua Health Alliance, figures the mHealth market needs both scale and money. Standards play a big role in being able to scale.

Someone else had titled McClellan’s slide deck: “Is mHealth in the waiting room.” Had McClellan done it himself, he would have chosen another title.

“Is mHealth in the waiting room? It should never be in the waiting room,” he said. “The idea is to keep people at home. Our role is to keep you outside the hospital, keep them healthy, help them recover quickly and then learn to manage their health with these tools.”

“When you’re in the hospital, as Dr. Topol likes to say (Eric Topol, MD), it’s the most expensive hotel room in the country.”

[See also: mHealth brings, ‘Can you heal me now?’.]

McClellan advocates for an OnStar-like program that provides as much critical information about health as OnStar does about cars. It turns out, it’s not the ability to find a good restaurant while out and about that drivers desire, McClellan asserted; it’s detailed data on their cars – performance, tire size and wear, oil levels.

“I heard the word ‘super app’ mentioned earlier. It’s really super correlation,” he said. “It’s taking all this data and correlating it and giving us feedback. The idea again is to keep people at home.”

When the panel moderator asked Reid Oakes of Oracle whether the outlook for mHealth was good, or perhaps stalled, Oakes said: “I think we’re at a great point in terms of systems – lots of siloed kinds of environments out there.”

The challenge he’s heard from the industry from talking with people, he said, was what to do with the data, where does it go, how does it actually effect change?

“I think we’re waiting on the next wave of super app,” Oakes said. People in the industry say they need something more disruptive, he added, in order to make the leap to take it to the consumer – to broader adoption.

[See also: mHealth to see big growth, barriers.]

The moderator turned to the only healthcare provider on the panel: Paul Frisch, chief of biomedical physics and engineering at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.

Responding to: “Is there a there?” Frisch said, “I think the type of things people look for are very diverse. Some work is going on in parallel,” he added,
“and the results often become diluted over time. There are more sensors, more data than ever before, but often there’s a trend to use new technologies and new data shoved into old processes, and it takes time to learn how to use that better.

“So that in itself is a stumbling block.”

Be the first to like.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)

Article source: http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/will-mhealth-take-hold

Be Sociable, Share!
Bookmark and Share

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>