Are you being paid what you deserve?
December 26, 2013 in Medical Technology
No matter what the job setting, at some point, every health information technology professional ponders, “Am I really being paid what I am worth?”
The 2013 HIMSS Compensation Survey makes it easier to answer that question with data to compare salaries and compensation packages, average salary increases and salary information by a variety of demographic variables. In addition, HIMSS members have exclusive access to an online salary calculator, job descriptions and benefits information.
HIMSS members, and other health IT professionals for whom HIMSS had an email address, received an invitation to participate, with data collection for the survey from August to October 2013. HIMSS received 1,160 usable responses.
[See also: AMIA: ‘Clinical informatics has arrived’.]
Key findings of the survey include:
Average Salary Increase:
- More than two-thirds (71.6 percent) of survey respondents indicated that they received a salary increase.
- The average salary increase among these respondents was 4.1 percent.
- The average salary of the 1,126 healthcare IT professionals providing compensation information is $113,269.
- The median salary (that which falls in the middle of distribution) is $95,000.
- Slightly less than half of respondents reported they received a bonus (46.8 percent).
- Among those who did receive a bonus, the median bonus was 3 to 4 percent of annual salary.
- Of those respondents that received a bonus, 23.7 percent reported their bonus was more than 10 percent of their salary.
Additional survey results indicated those working for smaller organizations reported higher average salary increases than did those respondents who work for larger organizations. In addition, two-thirds of respondents also reported they received a salary increase once a year.
[See also: Good staffing critical to HIE.]
“The HIMSS Compensation Survey offers valuable insights on salaries for health IT professionals, and the Salary Calculator provides an interactive tool to better gauge appropriate salaries for certain positions and geographic locations, to name just two of the demographic variables used in this online resource,” said Jennifer Horowitz, senior director, research, HIMSS Analytics/directory/analytics” target=”_blank” class=”directory-item-link”Analytics, in a news release.
Graphics accompanying the survey can be viewed here.
The complete results of the HIMSS Compensation Survey, including the Salary Calculator, are available to HIMSS members on the HIMSS Member Center.