Create your own session with YourTurn

February 1, 2014 in Medical Technology

HIMSS14 features a wide array of topics and sessions designed to cover most areas of interest. But what if a topic you want to discuss isn’t on the list? Breaking free from the standard conference fare, this year HIMSS is introducing an “unconference” event: a more flexible and less structured event where anybody can submit an idea and host a discussion around it. Called HIMSS YourTurn, it is a way for participants to bring attention to the issues and questions they care about most.

This is an opportunity for attendees to add topics of discuss at HIMSS14. “If I’m a HIMSS14 attendee, yes, I’m going to go to the sessions that were chosen. But if there was something that wasn’t addressed, I can go and raise that [at HIMSS YourTurn],” says Susan Leonard, Director of Professional Development at HIMSS. Leonard says it allows people to put “more emphasis” on an issue that’s not being talked about and to “find a way to make it a priority.”

A YourTurn event is about drawing in interested parties who want to take part in a more organic approach to learning. A YourTurn session is less about sitting back and absorbing information as it is about connecting with like-minded people and collaboratively learning about the subject matter. Leonard says the YourTurn sessions are geared towards people who have a high level of passion around an issue and are motivated to brainstorm with others.

Because the format is more ad hoc, participants have the opportunity to get to know the other members at the event. Not just an opportunity to meet new people, it’s also a great way to broaden one’s knowledge by diving in head first.

YourTurn at HIMSS14 is sure to be one of the highlights of the show for all who attend. Submissions for topics are open now through Feb. 10.

Be the first to like.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)

Article source: http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/create-your-own-session-yourturn

Be Sociable, Share!
Bookmark and Share

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>