Workgroup Offers Draft Stage 3 Meaningful Use Recommendations
February 19, 2014 in News
Under the 2009 federal economic stimulus package, health care providers that demonstrate meaningful use of certified electronic health record systems can qualify for Medicaid and Medicare incentive payments.
Details of Draft Recommendations
The seven new proposed objectives are:
- The EHR system is able to help with follow-up orders, and results of specialty consult requests are returned to the ordering provider;
- Providers will record the FDA unique device identifier when patients have a device implanted;
- The EHR system is able to access medication information from pharmacy benefit managers, as well as prescription drug monitoring program data;
- Providers offer patients an easy way to request adjustments to their records online;
- Eligible professionals and hospitals can receive provider-requested patient-generated information that is electronically submitted;
- Eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals can send electronic notifications to members of a patient’s care team; and
- The EHR system is able to use external knowledge to prompt end users when criteria are met for case reporting (Durben Hirsch, FierceEMR, 2/18).
The workgroup is accepting feedback on its draft recommendations and plans to present final recommendations to the Policy Committee on March 11 (Goedert, Health Data Management, 2/16).