Epic, Cerner Top Vendors for Hospital Meaningful Use Incentives
May 5, 2014 in News
Epic Systems and Cerner lead electronic health record vendors in the number of hospital customers that have met criteria to receive Medicare meaningful use incentive payments, according to an analysis of federal data, Modern Healthcare reports.
Under the 2009 federal economic stimulus package, health care providers who demonstrate meaningful use of certified electronic health record systems can qualify for Medicaid and Medicare incentive payments.
For the analysis, Modern Healthcare reviewed more than 552,000 records in CMS’ data set, which includes information on meaningful use attestation from CMS and the Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT from 2011 to early 2014. The database does not contain any identifying information on hospitals or vendor customers.
Overall, the report found that a total of 49 developers of complete EHR systems had hospital customers that received Medicare incentive payments. It showed:
- Epic ranked first with 1,208 customers receive Medicare incentive payments, or 18.7% of the total payments for that category;
- Meditech ranked second with 1,005 customers receiving incentive payments, or 15.5% of the total;
- CPSI ranked third with 848 customers receiving incentive payments, or 13.1% of the total;
- Cerner ranked fourth with 694 customers receiving incentive payments, or 10.7% of the total; and
- Medhost ranked fifth with 524 customers receiving incentive payments, or 8.1% of the total.
Meanwhile, the analysis found a total of 117 developers of modular EHRs for inpatient use had hospital customers that received Medicare incentive payments. It showed:
- Cerner ranked first with 2,369 customers receive payments, or 25.8% of the total;
- Meditech ranked second with 2,166 customers receiving payments, or 23.6% of the total;
- HCA Information Technology Services ranked third with 819 customers receiving payments, or 8.9% of the total;
- McKesson ranked fourth with 708 customers receiving payments or 7.7% of the total; and
- Iatric Systems ranked fifth with 381 customers receiving payments, or 4.1% of the total.
According to Modern Healthcare, the data show more than 90% of the 5,011 eligible hospitals have received at least one incentive payment under the meaningful use program (Conn, Modern Healthcare, 5/2).