Healthcare IT News Ranks the Best Hospital IT Departments
September 30, 2014 in News
New Jersey-based Meridian Health Systems was deemed the best IT department among hospitals with 200 or more IT employees, while Phoenix Children’s Hospital was named the best IT department among hospitals with 76 to 199 IT employees, according to a ranking of hospital IT departments by Healthcare IT News.
Healthcare IT News this week released its fourth annual rankings of the best IT departments at small, medium, large, and super-sized U.S. hospitals.
This year, 193 hospitals were nominated for the 2014 “Best Hospital IT Departments” program and 85 hospitals qualified for consideration. Overall, 5,506 IT employees from the participating facilities completed this year’s 79-question online survey, which asked workers to rank the importance of their satisfaction with:
- Compensation, benefits, and employee recognition.
- Day-to-day work;
- Direct supervisor or manager;
- Immediate work unit, team, or IT department group;
- Senior management and organizational leadership;
- Training, professional development, and advancement; and
- Workplace culture.
The better an IT department scored in the categories most important to employees, the higher they placed in the final rankings. Of eligible facilities, Healthcare IT News identified the top IT departments at “super” hospitals, large hospitals, medium-sized hospitals, and small hospitals by staff size.
According to Healthcare IT News, the best IT departments focused on teamwork, good communication, and respect.
Top Hospital IT Department Rankings
According to Healthcare IT News, the top five IT departments at super hospitals, or those with 200 or more IT employees, are:
- Meridian Health Systems in Neptune, N.J.;
- MultiCare Health System in Tacoma, Wash.;
- Carolinas Healthcare System in North Carolina.;
- Tampa General Hospital, located in Tampa, Fla.; and
- Prime Healthcare Services in Ontario, Calif.
Meanwhile, the top five IT departments at large hospitals, or those with 76 to 199 IT employees, are:
- Phoenix Children’s Hospital in Phoenix, Ariz.;
- Kootenai Health in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho;
- Inspira Health Network in Bridgton, N.J.;
- Roper St. Francis Healthcare in Charleston, S.C.; and
- AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center in Atlantic City, N.J.
Healthcare IT News identified the 10 top IT departments at medium-sized hospitals, or those with 26 to 75 IT employees. The top five are:
- Springhill Medical Center in Mobile, Ala.;
- Sarah Bush Lincoln Health System in Mattoon, Ill.;
- Children’s Hospital and Medical Center in Omaha, Neb.;
- Union Hospital in Elkton, Md.; and
- Blessing Health System in Quincy, Ill.
Meanwhile, the best IT departments at small hospitals are:
- United Regional Health Care System in Wichita Falls, Texas;
- Highlands Regional Medical Center in Prestonburg, Ky.;
- Thibodaux Regional Medical Center in Thibodaux, La.;
- Sumner Regional Medical Center in Gallatin, Tenn.; and
- Frankfort Regional Medical located in Frankfort, Ky. (Moran, Healthcare IT News, 9/29).