90% of Eligible Hospitals Have Achieved Stage 1 Meaningful Use
April 9, 2015 in News
CMS data show that as of February, more than 90% of eligible hospitals have achieved meaningful use of certified health IT products under the Medicare and Medicaid electronic health record incentive programs, EHR Intelligence reports.
Under the 2009 economic stimulus package, health care providers who demonstrate meaningful use of certified EHRs can qualify for Medicaid and Medicare incentive payments.
Specifically, the data show that Stage 1 requirements have been met by:
- 96% of large hospitals (Gruessner, EHR Intelligence, 4/6);
- 93% of small rural hospitals;
- 92% of medium hospitals;
- 90% of critical access hospitals (CMS data, February 2015);
- 78% of small urban hospitals; and
- 57% of children’s hospitals (EHR Intelligence, 4/6);
According to CMS, children’s hospitals started the meaningful use program later than the other facilities (Hoover McGreevy, FierceContentManagement, 4/7).